Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Addicts Who Don't Recover Want to be Addicts

     All I know is that I took Steps wholeheartedly and was touched by the power of God one night and instantaneously I went from a full blown junkie/alcoholic who couldn't stay sober for more than a few days for 15 years, to recovered and completely free from any thoughts or desires to drink or use whatsoever.

     That was ten years ago and I still have utterly no desire to self-destruct on any level be it emotionally, mentally, spiritually or physically. And remember that an addict is literally defined by a constant need/desire to self-destruct. So the steps work, or rather, God works.

     It's more about catching fire, so to speak. If the addict's moral pilot is properly lit, he won't use again. If the addict suddenly wants God more than drugs and is convinced that he must take constant right action lest he go insane and lose his connection to God, the problem is solved.

     All anyone has to do is to sincerely want to grow spiritually. Trust me, when a person really wants to change and get better, the universe will conspire to make that happen and bring him or her the necessary opportunities to grow.

     So anybody can recover. Anybody. And thus there is no excuse for an addict/alcoholic not to recover because there is a solution. The only people on earth who may not be able to recover are pathological narcissists, or sociopaths.

     Trust me, anybody who doesn't recover just doesn't want to. There is no such thing as I tried this or that and nothing works. Addicts continue to use and be addicts because they want to continue to use and be addicts. Same with alcoholics. Same with any other damaged individual. It's that simple.

     Regarding the title, by recovery we don't mean that an addict has chosen to ingest methadone everyday. That is not recovery. That is an addict who still very much wants to be an addict. Same with any other addict who takes any other substitution drug. Sorry.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for another excellent post. I just learned today from my daughter-in-law that my son is drinking after being sober for a year. She is overwhelmed with a baby and a full time job and asked me to speak to him. I'm profoundly sad and not sure what to say (or that anything I say will make much difference). But whether or not he listens, I suspect that grow up and stop thinking of yourself is likely to enter the conversation.

    Also, I used to be an alcoholic until God offered me the wonderful gift of sobriety. I accepted that gift and thank God for it every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been through the spiritual awakening of recovery. I get everything you're saying, believe me. Unfortunately, I also have terminal cancer (in my late 20s) and the pain is so unbearable that I have chosen to start re-using heroin/heavy opiates both prescribed and on the street, so that I can be somewhat pleasant to my friends and family over the next few months before I go, rather than being in a state of pain too severe to feel any positive things , prayer or not. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope if you ever get here you'll be able to stay clean and deal with it more gracefully than I have. But your categorical and absolute beliefs about addiction and addicts miss the nuance that any truly intelligent and valuable theory/philosophy has built in to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this is a more nuanced theory...?

      "Being a junkie and coming up with 100 bucks for your habit everyday is a harder grind than many working adults have ever experienced." - by JACKIE X

      ... sounds like standard addict nonsense to me.

      LOL.

      Delete