Sunday, August 17, 2014

Let's Destroy Some Myths


1) Triggers exist.

     Triggers don't exist. Breathing is a trigger. The only trigger that exists is the fact that I'm alive. Triggers, as taught by the mainstream addiction and treatment community, are a myth concocted by people who don't understand what addiction is and have created this idea of triggers out of thin air. Nothing that happens externally causes us to use. We use because we are addicts and we want to use all the time. It is a reflex to drink or use once you become an addict or an alcoholic. Triggers are just flimsy excuses we use to justify or try to rationalize relapse, of which there is no rationalization or justification.

2) Avoiding people, places and things 'that make us want to use' is an effective strategy or (gulp) even a solution.

     This myth assumes that triggers exist, which they do not. Addicts and alcoholics have no idea what they are avoiding because anything and everything has the potential to make them want to use. I feel happy and want to use. I look at a tree and want to use. The sky is blue, I want to use. Get it? There are no triggers, other than being alive. We want to use from the second we open our eyes in the morning to the second we pass out at night. 

     Avoiding people, places and things doesn't curb our desire or obsession to drink or use. If you put me on the North Pole, I still want to get jammed and plastered all day long... and guess what? I'll figure out a way. Academics and drug counselors are so clueless it actually hurts me to have to write this stuff. Why isn't anybody in mainstream treatment teaching you the truth?  

3) Reasons exist.

     If you ask any alcoholic or drug addict why he drinks or uses, he will try to think about it for a moment and then tell you he has no idea. Yeah, that's because there is no reason. We drink and use because we want to drink and use. Trust me, we love drugs. We're obsessed with them. Do you know I used to study marijuana buds under a light and microscope in awe of them. Weed was my first love. And then OxyContin came along and I literally thought I'd died and gone to heaven... until I bought a bag of heroin. 

     Sure there is an emptiness inside and a spiritual malady, but there is no specific reason, and oh, by the way, everybody is empty and suffers spiritually to some extent but they don't get jammed out of their fucking skulls all day long. The same two people can be thoroughly abused while one becomes a junkie and the other becomes a great success. The same two people can be thoroughly loved while one becomes a great success and the other becomes a junkie. The 'reason' myth is an idea peddled by therapists, psychologists, counselors and mainstream treatment centers in an effort to stay in business.

     Giving an addict reasons why they use is also one the dumbest thing I can think of. Now every time we relapse or do some stupid thing, we can blame it on one of our myriad of fake reasons (like mommy or daddy) thus avoiding total responsibility and accountability. Addicts will talk you silly. Psychotherapy and addiction don't mix. The fabrication of reasons is totally counter-productive. It's also arrogant to think that these sham social sciences are anything more than just a bunch of opinions, i.e. byproducts of ego. 

   4) Over time you'll be able to drink or use moderately again. You're not physically doomed for life like those negative, hopeless AA cultists try to profess.

     These are lies told to you by programs like Rational Recovery and Smart Recovery and the self-seeking quacks who write books like Beyond Addiction and so forth. Telling an alcoholic/addict that they can drink/use again moderately is completely insane. If you have the body of an alcoholic or a drug addict, you can never safely ingest drugs or alcohol. After decades of sobriety, the body of an addict reacts the same way it used to. And yes it is progressive. Sure we can recover but that doesn't mean we can drink or use again. Life-long abstinence is the only option for alcoholics and addicts. Loss of physical control is a permanent situation. Any honest alcoholic or drug addict will confirm this for you.

5) Alcoholics and addicts never recover. They will forever be struggling and in recovery. They will forever want to use. You always have to keep an eye on them and be forever vigilant, especially if they miss their meetings.

     Complete bullshit. And by the way, I'd rather stab myself in the head with a sharp object repeatedly than go to a meeting ;-)

     I was a chronic drug addict and black-out alcoholic from age 13 to 28 and I haven't had a single thought to use, drink or self-destruct since I was restored to sanity more than 9 years ago. I am completely okay without drugs and alcohol. Sure I used to love them with all my heart but I replaced my addiction with something as powerful as the addiction itself, and in fact, much more powerful indeed. I never suffer unbearably and there is nothing I cannot handle. I have no fear of life or people or failure or acceptance or whatever. I am not tortured by what I haven't accomplished in life. I am happy to simply live without distraction or achievement, and I would love for all of the pill-pushing psychiatrist charlatans out there to explain that. Please explain my current un-medicated condition after telling me that I would forever need to be medicated.

6) Pot is not a drug and it's not addictive. If you're an addict and you just keep it to pot, you're okay.

     I knew a psychiatrist who told this once to an addict friend of mine who was a patient of his.
   
     Moron.

     Marijuana is a drug. Fact. It is highly addictive. Fact. Let's elaborate, briefly. First, addiction crosses all lines. Any mood-altering substance that acts on the dopaminergic reward system of the brain will trigger the same physiological response in the body of an addict. Regarding the action of THC, Wikipedia states, "Via CB1 activation, THC indirectly increases dopamine release and produces psychotropic effects. Cannabidial also acts as an allosteric modulator of the mu and delta opioid receptors." Let me translate that for you. Marijuana acts on the same type of receptors that opiates, stimulants and alcohol do. Anyone who thinks they are sober and not addicted if all they do is smoke pot out of a chalice all day is 100% delusional. Just wanted to clear that up.

7) You're sober and in recovery if you're on Methadone or Suboxone.

     Hahaha.

     I hate to break it to you, but these drugs are in the same class as heroin and OxyContin. They're all morphine-based synthetic opiates. An addict on Methadone or Suboxone is the farthest thing from sober (or well) I can think of, short of someone with a needle sticking out of their aortic valve. But hey, if substituting one opiate for another can be equated with recovery, than the world we now live in is so ridiculous, backwards and gutless that I should probably stop wasting my time writing about addiction. I really don't know why so many poor parents fall for this shit considering it is even scientifically wrong.

8) Vivitrol injections work.

     Addicts suffer from the mental obsession and getting a vivitrol injection quite obviously does not lift the mental obsession, as it is a well-established and cemented form of insanity. Addicts are insane. Achieving physical sobriety does not remove this insanity. The mind of an addict is still very much broken and no amount of time will fix him or her until they have undergone an entire psychic change. A sober addict still has no willpower and has lost the power of choice, and thus if and when the thought to drink or use creeps into his head, he have no defense against it. Sober addicts are still subject to relapse at any point in time. But when we are restored to sanity, our power of choice is restored. Substitution drugs and vivitrol cannot make us sane and restore the power of choice, so watch out. Any addict on one of these drugs will relapse at some point, and that is not a matter of opinion. Trust me, it is only a matter of time. Relapse is inevitable.

9) Most addicts have co-occuring disorders and should be dual-diagnosed and treated for depression, bipolar and ADD, as well as addiction. Addiction never occurs in a vacuum.

     Just like social diseases such as ADD, the notion of dual-diagnosis is a hoax. If you are an addict, then you also have anxiety, depression, ADD, ADHD, PTSD and bipolar 1a, 2b, 4t, and 17z, blah, blah, blah. It's called being not well. You're either okay or you're not okay. You don't need a specific disorder and treatment for every single blemish known to man, unless you're an establishment puppet who believes everything they hear on TV or from government. If you are an addict or an alcoholic and you treat the addiction, you treat everything else. Let me explain. Underneath addiction, alcoholism, or any of these other maladies, is a spiritual illness. And if our problem is spiritual in nature, than so must be our solution. Simple as that. Why complicate everything?

10) AA and God is just another addiction. God is just a concept that recovering addicts use as a crutch.

     I am recovered and I fully understand that it takes hard work and courage to get better. I also understand that God is Power and is responsible for the profound change that I endured. I had a sudden, fundamental change in my mind, heart and soul. Obsession gone. Urges gone. Fear gone, Depression gone. Serotonin levels restored. Recovered. That's not science or the product of any faculties I possess.

    But then Charlie, you must be some sort of freak now, no?

    So, have I grown a beard, cut off my balls, and joined the brethren in seclusion? Nope. Not at all. Not a hero. Not very pious or reverent. Don't go to church, although I probably should now that I have a family, was born a Christian and believe in Christ. I should probably get re-baptized as well, given that I was a screaming infant the first go around, not to mention that fact that I became a selfish, Godless addict and hurt others for half of my life.

     And finally, God is not a concept. God is/was before any of us. Don't get caught up in words, which are so unnecessarily loaded. It's way beyond human conception, so let's not get too bent about it.

God, help us to be still and know...

7 comments:

  1. ...and my favorite one, relapse is part of recovery. Talk about a set up for failure. j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I forget... that one takes the cake! In fact, it is so stupid and oxymoronic that it deserved it's own post, although I think a sequel post is in order with "Relapse is part of recovery" coming in at #1.

      http://www.privilegedaddictwriter.blogspot.com/2014/03/relapse-is-not-part-of-recovery.html

      Delete
  2. These may be "myths" to you but not to everyone. I disagree with many of them but then again these are all just your "opinion" and not facts. In my opinion there is not a one size fits all method to recovery and everyone's journey looks different. For example for you meetings are useless and for countless others meetings are a useful tool for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, so this blog is a reflection of my experience as an addict, my journey of failures, and the spiritual solution of the Twelve Steps. So when I talk about meetings or anything else, I'm talking about hopeless, powerless, out of control drug addicts and alcoholics like myself, and let me tell you, there is little chance for chronic drug addicts to get better by going to meetings. Meetings don't get people like me better. Action does. In fact, the purpose of meetings is supposedly to carry the solution, such that the addict may go and take action outside of the meeting. Considering the near insurmountable malady that ails us, meetings alone just don't contain the power to change us.

      That being said, it certainly doesn't matter to me what anybody does or doesn't do. The entire purpose of this blog is not just for addicts to challenge themselves, but to become willing to go to any lengths to get better, find peace, and most importantly, to bring relief to their loved ones etc. Why would it matter to me if anyone disagrees?

      I was as bad as they get, failed repeatedly, and now I am recovered, successful, and blessed with a beautiful family etc. Should I not share with others what worked for me and what didn't? Should I not write my book and tell my story? Should I not try to illuminate some of the flaws in conventional treatment methods and thinking? If I listened to some of the sponsors and "12-steppers" I had to suffer at AA and NA meetings over the years, my wife and mother would be crying over my grave. So nobody has to read this. In fact, nobody should even be listening to me. I agree that we should find the answers for ourselves, as that is the best way. This is just my experience.

      Perhaps you should start your own blog about meetings and stuff? ;-)

      Delete
  3. Rational Recovery does not advocate moderate drinking. The Big Plan of AVRT, which is the method of Rational Recovery, goes like this:

    "I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind."

    It is fanatical -- absolute abstinence from alcohol and all other hedonic drugs.

    Additionally, Rational Recovery is not a part of the addiction treatment industry, and agrees with many of your points regarding psychology and the addiction treatment industry.

    www.rational.org/recover.html

    ReplyDelete