Friday, April 11, 2014

Why I Do This

     It's not because I want to eviscerate modern AA or tell people that what they're doing is wrong. Nothing could be further from the truth. If what you're doing works then that's awesome and wonderful and God bless you. I just know how much I still suffered after only achieving physical sobriety and I want others to know there is a solution. You don't have to feel that way. You don't have to struggle.

     It's not because I want to be 'public' or because I want to violate the First Tradition, as some of the bashers like to assert, foaming at the mouth and so forth. And regarding the First Tradition, there is nothing private about AA or its history, or its founders, or the twelve step process, and even so, it doesn't matter because I'm not affiliated with AA in any way, shape or form. I simply took Steps to recover and choose to bring them to others in any way that I can, albeit with some additional commentary on the side. But don't forget that the purpose of the twelve steps of alcoholics anonymous is to take a twelfth step. All other steps are merely equipping us to be able to carry this message to others.

     It's not because I want to "harvest souls for my religious cult" (that was a good one). I couldn't care less what you believe. I care about what people do. Beliefs don't get us better. Action does. And by the way, beliefs alone don't save people. You can't simply believe in God and then walk the earth hurting people and expect to be saved. It doesn't work that way.

     I do this for one simple reason. The incredible people who took me through the Step process asked of me one thing and one thing only, and that was to carry this message to other alcoholics and addicts and their families who may be suffering. So I'm simply fulfilling a promise I made nine years ago. I want as many addicts and families as possible to take Steps, and if not actually take them, then at least to learn about them and maybe have a seed planted.

     Lastly, this has nothing to do with me. I'm nobody. It really doesn't matter what I write. If you don't like it, don't read it. Or better yet, start your own blog about how much you hate my blog ;-) I don't care either way because nothing and nobody is going to stop me from trying to help my fellow addicts get better and stop hurting their moms - and dads, siblings, spouses, friends, and everybody else. So forgive me for imposing but maybe all the trolls should stop wasting time having aneurisms and go help someone.

God, please teach me how to let go and be more tolerant of others...

No comments:

Post a Comment