Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Take the Garbage Out

     I don't know who coined the phrase, Take The Garbage Out, but this is exactly what we need to do when it comes to our minds and all of our petty, worldly problems. The late Suzuki Roshi said that if we practice zazen everyday, problems will cease to exist. It'd be nice if psychotherapists told us to just go meditate and save us the 20 years and the $200,000, but I suppose 8 years of student loans wouldn't exactly be worthwhile if they didn't keep us eating out of their hands.

     If I hadn't meditated everyday after I got home from treatment, I wouldn't be where I am today. I wouldn't have altered my bio-chemistry back to normal. I wouldn't have conquered my fear or the mind-blowing depression. I wouldn't have freed myself from the prison of psychological diagnoses such as major depression and bipolar disorder. I wouldn't have freed myself from the brainwashing I got from doctors who told me that I would forever need to be medicated. 8 years of prayer, meditation, inventory and service and I am as free and successful as anybody I know... and 100% unmedicated.

     So do we addicts need to be medicated or do we simply need to meditate?

     One of the meditations I learned while up North, I still do today. Our friend called it Progressive Tensioning & Relaxation and Controlled Breathing.

Sit Comfortably.
Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
Gradually tense every muscle in your body from your toes to your head.
Gradually relax every muscle, again working from your toes to your head.
Take a few more deep breaths.
Breathe in through the nose to the count of 4.
Hold for the count of 4.
Breathe out through the mouth to the count of 4.
Hold for the count of 4.
Do this until you have forgotten that you are meditating, or at least until you have stopped thinking so much and calmed down a bit.

     Or you can just sit or stand, close your eyes, and follow your breath, in through your nose and out through your mouth. Try not to move to scratch an itch or something. The itch will eventually go away if you have the discipline to ignore it. It's just energy moving through your body - a good sign. And if you find it difficult to stop thinking, say 'in, out, in, out...' (in your mind, not out loud) as you breathe in and out.

God, teach me how to meditate...

Shunryu Suzuki Roshi
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment