Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Why Many Don't Respond To AA

     Many alcoholics don't respond to AA for the same reason we don't respond to therapy. The guy talking to us doesn't really know what he's talking about and has no solution to offer. Sure, the speakers in AA may have a slight affinity to us in that they drank alcohol. But sadly, it often ends there.

     In order for me to listen to you, you have to have felt and used the way I did. And yes, this is sometimes true in AA. But you also must be in the sort of condition I want to be in if I'm going to get sober and take your advice. I don't want to be a sober mess, running from meeting to meeting, shaking, chain smoking, chugging coffee, restless, irritable, anxious, depressed, empty, lonely, miserable, selfish, and with no purpose whatsoever other than desperately trying to not drink.

     In fact, that was never the solution that AA offered us long ago. Alcoholics Anonymous says that we can recover by taking steps and then live in freedom and peace. But that's not what you hear in AA. You hear stories, and the staple advice is "just keep comin'", because this Group ODrunks can keep you clean. Wow, that's pretty shitty advice. I know plenty of people and believe me, none of them can keep me sober. For sure, there are two separate programs, both called AA. 

     Sorry, but I'm all set. I'm only going to listen to you if you've not only felt and used the way I did, but you are also standing there before me with internal strength, calm, centered, content, secure, stable, happy, productive and fearless. This is what you see when you meet and talk to a recovered person. You can't tell they were ever some dirty heroin addict or some wreaking drunk on the street. They have been reborn. They are transformed. They have grown new minds and have been filled with the spirit and power of GOD.

     So that's why people are turned off by AA. Because what you see in meetings today is not what AA ever intended. AA was a 12 Step program of action designed to expel certain spiritual poisons from us to allow for a new Power to come into us, thereby replacing our addiction with something that really works. So if collecting sobriety chips and cranking butts all day isn't cutting it for you, do yourself a favor and find a recovered person to talk to. Trust me, it will be eye-opening.

God, teach us how to live Your solution and Your principles, that we may serve as examples of real recovery...

No comments:

Post a Comment