Sunday, July 1, 2012

Giving Up Rights

     Once I lose control of something, I give up the right to continue doing it. I give up that right simply because I've lost control. There are consequences to losing control. I hurt myself and more importantly, I hurt others. Beyond that, I become useless to the world. I fail to contribute to my fullest capacity. I become irresponsible as a human being. Losing control means that the world has lost a productive soul.

     The second I can no longer control my drinking, I no longer have the right to drink. The second I can no longer control my drug use, I no longer have the right to use drugs.

     And it's the same with every other destructive behavior, action, thought, word, or state of mind.

     If I lose control of my anger, I no longer have the right to get angry (not be angry, get angry). If I lose control over my depression, I no longer have the right to get depressed (and if it happens, then it is my sole duty not to STAY depressed, but rather pull myself out). If I lose control of my anxiety, I no longer have the right to be anxious. If I lose control of my selfishness, I no longer have the right to be selfish. If I lose control of my narcissism, I no longer have the right to be narcissistic. If I lose control of my self-seeking, I no longer have the right to be self-seeking. If I lose control of my integrity, I no longer have the right to be dishonest. If I lose control of my fear, I no longer have the right to live in fear. If I lose control of my mental illness, I no longer have the right to remain mentally ill. If I lose control of my financial responsibility, I no longer have the right to be financially irresponsible. If I lose control of my laziness, I no longer have the right to be lazy. If I lose control of my physical health, I no longer have the right to be physically unhealthy.

     Apply this to anything... especially if you're an addict. There are no excuses for losing control. It's nobody's fault but our own.

     Anyone who has the capacity to be honest with themselves can yield (granted it's a process) to any of these negative behaviors. So there is no excuse to stop doing any of the above things unless we do not have the capacity to be honest. And yes, there are people out there who simply can't be honest. I know a few myself, and let me tell you, as sad as it is, they are pretty much hopeless. They will continue to hurt others and hurt themselves without having any clue that they're doing so. Watch out for these types. We're not doormats. We must set strong boundaries, especially when we're in recovery.

     So other than all that, there isn't much to worry about... haha.

God, please heal and grow my conscience, that I may better know right from wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment