Sunday, May 27, 2012

Crossing Lines

     There is no, "I'm an alcoholic but not a drug addict." There is no, "I have a problem with heroin but not cocaine." Or the best is, "I'm addicted to everything (or nothing) except weed." That one even tops, "Prescription drugs aren't really drugs. I mean, it's not like I'm some dirty, toothless crackhead rotting away under a bridge."

     No, you're not... not yet.

     If you think you're different from the drug addict because all you do is chug wine every night and play solitaire, think again. There is no difference.

     If I am an addict, then I have an allergy to alcohol and drugs that crosses all lines. If I am an alcoholic, then I'm also a heroin addict, a cocaine addict, a benzodiazepine addict, and a pothead. Once you have the body of an addict, NOTHING is safe. Not even Tylenol PM. Why? Because any mood-altering substance will trigger the same physiological response. Any drug will trigger an allergic reaction, characterized by a physical craving for more and more and more. Craving is a physical event, not that urge you feel when you're sober. We don't crave things. We obsess over things.

     Sure addicts have their preferences. But when the booze dries up and your grandma has some Valium in her cabinet, it's a done deal. Sure I don't really care for benzodiazepines like Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin, but if I (just by accident, of course) stumble across them in your medicine cabinet, don't expect to see them next time you need one. I wasn't really a cocaine guy, but if you put a pile of it in front of me, it's goodbye to your cocaine, and then it's suddenly sunrise and let's call the dealer for some more even though my jaw could really use a break.

     Addiction is addiction. Alcoholics have the same broken body as crackheads do, though they might have an air about them in their respective AA meetings. One of the first local meetings I ever went to, the speaker preempted his 'look at all the things that I did' speech with something like, "By the way, this is AA - that's Alcoholics Anonymous - not druggie anonymous or pot anonymous. If you're in here 'cause you smoke pot, you're no alcoholic, so get out! AA is for alcoholics only!"

     That guy may have killed some heroin addict who got up, left, and then overdosed in his car in the church parking lot. That dumbass speaker didn't realize he's distinguishing between the SAME illness, just different symptoms. You drink, I sniff OxyContin. You blow cocaine, I like Xanax. You eat Ritalin all day, I smoke weed all day. Same thing. By the way, I became an opiate addict, and the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous (and the program for alcoholics contained within) saved my life.

God, teach me and others that our allergy crosses all lines...

No comments:

Post a Comment